My First Half Marathon Trail Running

 


I ran my first half on the trails.

Well, I was running at the start. Towards the middle it was more of a waddling trot. At the end it was a spirited walk at times. But I completed it. There is not a DNF next to my name on the 2021 Mosaic Trail 13.1 results page. 2 hours, 38 minutes. 12:30 miles, but who's counting? 

My completion is documented, there is historical evidence.


That was Saturday. Today is Monday morning. Yesterday, Sunday, I woke up barely able to hobble around. Knees were sore, hips were shaky. It was nothing a little ibuprofen, aspirin, and rest couldn't fix. I'm 30 now, and yesterday I felt it. But today, I feel strong. So strong I'm encouraging you to exert yourself physically in some way. Running, walking, cycling, swimming. Just some way.

Why do I advocate exercise? I think it makes my brain fire on all cylinders. I'm just a little bit more sharp, more in tune, when I'm consistently running. And, personally, running has drastically influenced my mental health. I'm just happier these days, and I think the 10-20 miles a week of hitting the pavement or the days when I do 100 push-ups at work is a root cause of my joie de vie, as the French would put it. Endorphins are a thing. Not only does it make my body stronger, it's a small positive accomplishment. Each completed run is a victorious battle in the dharma of life, to go all eastern religion on you. We're all just paddling on our yana. Speaking of yana, I'm reminded of a James Taylor interview where he talks about how physical exhaustion and sweating it out from kayaking helped his nervous system recover from his addictions.


I'm also reminded of the time Teddy Roosevelt the sickly boy went off to the mountains and threw some lumber around around. He returned a strong, able-bodied man. It's a forgotten American folk legend at this point. Spectacular moustache.

"I wish to preach, not the doctrine of ignoble ease, but the doctrine of the strenuous life, the life of toil and effort, of labor and strife; to preach that highest form of success which comes, not to the man who desires mere easy peace, but to the man who does not shrink from danger, from hardship, or from bitter toil, and who out of these wins the splendid ultimate triumph." 

Theodore Roosevelt


I digress. You're still here? Go sweat it out!

Next up, my first full marathon. God willing.

Peace out. -W.A.M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla Motors

Technology and Remaining Current in the Music Industry