I was at Q2 for Moussa Djitte night (ATX vs RSL 9/14/22 game review)

    I wasn't wearing a Cowboy hat but if I was I would thrown it onto the Austin FC pitch in the 80th minute for Moussa Djitte. Djitte scored 3 goals in 22 minutes- scoring the first hat trick in club history and clinching the first playoff berth for the team. We didn't win 4-0 (as I predicted, see last blog), we won 3-0. Yee haw, haw yee?

I was there, it was totally awesome.

    The score was nil nil at halftime. I thought whomever scored the first goal would win. Moussa Djitte came on in the 58th minute and immediately made an impact on the game. Before his first goal I noticed an unusual quickness in his step and a few sharp touches. It took Djitte just 3 minutes to score his first goal on a Fagundez cross in the 60th minute. The second goal by Djitte came 16 minutes later from a near-goal rebounding strike from a nearly brilliant shot by Finley; right place, right time. Hips down, one touch, far post, money. The last goal came in the 80th minute after a brilliant run from Gabrielson; Gabrielson passed it off to Fagundez in the final third- crossed it back to Gabrielson who flicked the ball with his back heel to a booming Djitte. 3 goals in 22 minutes by Djitte; cosmic mayhem. I've never seen a single futbol performance so electrifying.

    After the game the French-speaking Senegalese Djitte dedicated a goal to his brother, grandmother, and his new baby. It was quite the night for the 22-year old.

    Wednesday was a tale of two halves for Austin FC. In the first half I thought Austin FC was playing sloppy, passing backwards too often, flatfooted. It was not a great game for our chosen one, the (still likely) MVP Druissi- but he stayed composed and nearly found the net a few times. Druissi, Fagundez, and Djitte passing on the left side in the second half was dangerous. 

    The defense made a few errors but didn't allow any goals. Stuver was solid even though a few times I was concerned he was playing too far forward. We're gonna need more strong defensive performances from Austin FC for a chance at the MLS Cup. We can't always score 3 goals.

    Tonight at 8pm Austin plays a home-game against Nashville. I'm not going to compare Nashville and Austin; let's just say I'm a musician and I live in Austin for a reason- armadillos and javelina are rad. 3 games left in the regular season for Austin FC. Hoping for a few goals from Druissi to close out the season so he can secure that MVP. Still haven't bought my Fagundez jersey despite an assist and a hockey assist against Real Salt Lake for number 14; saving up cash for a few Texas Real Estate courses.

-Bill Mullarky, Austin FC supporter. 9/17/22 10:28am

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla Motors

Technology and Remaining Current in the Music Industry

My First Half Marathon Trail Running